New Mexico has been at the bottom of education lists for too long. It will take an entire community coming together to affect change and get our state to the top of these lists. Viante has put some ways that New Mexicans can do to get involved and help move our state forward.
- Go to School Board meetings
- Understand the decisions they are making and the impacts it has on the school district.
- The School Board publicly announces when meetings are. The New Mexico Public Education Department has a school directory where you can find all this information. Just follow the school district’s website and the meeting notice should be published.
- Run for School Board Office
- You can find out everything you need to know about the process on your school district’s website. Go to the New Mexico Public Education Department’s website to find your school district for more detailed information.
- Know what bills are being considered and the impacts they have on public education. Visit New Mexico’s Legislature website to search their bill finder for more information.
- Get in contact with teachers and public education administration and see how they feel about the said legislation
- Contact your state legislators to express your opinions about the certain legislation. Find your Legislator by searching with your address.
- If you have time get a substituting license. Find out more about how to get your substitute license on New Mexico Public Education Department’s website.
- Find out if any schools need volunteers for fairs, events, or school activities.
- Volunteer at museums
- Get involved with the Boys and Girls Club
- Volunteer with the YMCA