Our Process

How We Decide Which Metrics and Legislation to Focus On

How Do We Decide Our Metrics?

We looked at national rankings lists and researched which states are excelling in education, have low crime and a high quality of life. We used this information as the basis for which metrics we needed to take a deeper look at. We then narrowed down the list to 15 key metrics. In addition, we had lengthy discussions with various experts within a multitude of fields, across all political aisles. The Viante New Mexico Board of Directors went into those conversations with an ear for common ground while remaining cognizant of the need to search for sustainable long-term solutions for how New Mexico can improve. Our balanced Board of Directors then chose 4 key metrics  we believe will have the most impact.

Our Metrics:

Education:
– 4th Grade Reading & Math Scores
– High School Graduation Rate & College Readiness
– Teacher Pay & the Percent of a School District’s Budget that Makes it into the Classroom
– Pre-K Enrollment

Crime:
– Violent Crime & Property Crime Rates
– Substance Abuse Deaths
– Recidivism Rate & Parole Completion Rate
– Change in Incarceration Rate

Quality of Life:
– Poverty Rate
– Labor Force Participation Rate
– Cost of Living
– Median Household Income

 

 

How We Grade Our Legislators 

Viante New Mexico has a three pillar scoring system. The majority (70%) of a legislator’s score is dedicated to our three common ground focus areas: education, crime, and quality of life. The remaining 30% of the overall score represents how often the legislator was present for a floor vote. 

Attendance: 30%
Focus Vote: 50%
Focus Sponsor: 20%

The scores range from 0-100

81 and Above :This legislator went above and beyond to understand the most pressing issues New Mexico faces, identified nonpartisan ways to implement solutions & supported Viante Bills. 

71-80: In all, this legislator supported Viante New Mexico bills & worked towards removing New Mexico from the bottom of national lists. 

61-70: This legislator needs the help of their constituents to better understand what it will take to improve New Mexico. 

60 & Below: This legislator has a lot to improve on & needs to become more familiar with common ground solutions regarding the most pressing issues in New Mexico.

 

 


Grading Methodology

Viante New Mexico’s Board of Directors spent a great deal of time researching and discussing what would make an ideal elected official. We narrowed down our scoring to three key areas:

Attendance

First and foremost, we would like for our representatives to actually vote when they are expected to vote. Attendance is critical for creating change; it keeps our legislators in the know. We elect our legislators to vote on our behalf and we believe it is an issue when they are not acting on behalf of their constituents.

Focus Vote

After community discussions and deep dives on the issues facing New Mexican families, we identified key common ground metrics for each of our focus areas. With those metrics in mind, Viante’s Board of Directors did an in-depth exploration into the 650+ bills that were introduced during the 2018 legislative session. The board then narrowed down the total bills to a selection of 15 bills that we believe are grounded in nonpartisan principles and data driven solutions based on our metrics.

Of the 15 bills, there are 5 bills per focus area (some bills touch on multiple metrics). Each bill had either a positive ranking if it helps New Mexico or a negative ranking if it hurts New Mexico’s position on national ranking lists.

Focus Sponsor

Every legislator who had an opportunity to vote on one of the 15 Focus Bills was graded. All floor and recorded committee votes were taken into account. If a legislator sponsored a Focus Bill they received additional points to their final overall score.

How We Maintain a Nonpartisan Voice

Board of Directors come from a diverse backgrounds
Variety of age ranges
Various Political Backgrounds

We have strategically created a balanced Board of Directors – a nonpartisan volunteer board of 10 directors who all ensure that Viante New Mexico is and remains respectful, ethical, balanced and consistent. In an effort to promote continuity and varied input the board is made up of:

– Republicans, Democrats & Independents
– 5 New Mexicans under 40, 5 New Mexicans over 40
– Representation from a variety of industries and interests

This unique composition provides a platform for a wide diversity of thoughts and interests that come together to ensure that our common ground principals prevail so New Mexico can succeed.

Join Viante Today

Become a member and get access to our 2018 Legislative Scorecard and become an informed voter. Learn more about how your representatives are voting on issues that matter to you.

 Follow Viante New Mexico for Updates

Facebook  Twitter